Monday, April 11, 2011

First post

Well here we go; I've decided to build a Vans RV-12 light sport (E-LSA) aircraft in my garage.
I have almost no metalwork skills at this point, but learning is half the fun of this project and I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, as long as I've been flying in fact.

I spent a long time (years!) deciding which kit to build, there's many great kits out there, but what drew me to the Vans aircraft firstly; is the quantity and quality of the help available from other past and current builders,
secondly the flying qualities of the Vans aircraft are second to none, and lastly the RV-12 in particular was chosen because of the ease of construction (mostly pop rivets) and because I want something that I can retire into when I no longer want the hassle of getting my class 3 medical.

So earlier today I faxed the order form to Vans for the first kit (empennage)  and a bunch of orders for various tools from Amazon, Plane tools, Avery, The Yard Store and Cleveland.

I bought a kit specifically designed for building the RV-12 from Plane tools, and supplemented that with some pneumatic tools (air drill, grinders, squeezers, and rivet puller) from Clevelend and Avery.
Amazon will be delivering some long needed bench tools, grinder and drill press.

Next task: clean out the garage and prepare for all that lot to be delivered !

No comments:

Post a Comment