Sunday, March 18, 2012

Putting the fuselage together, 20 hours, 376 total

Cold, rainy, windy, all weekend, which is great news for aircraft construction
It means I get 2 days in the garage :)
And this is one of those parts of the project where a lot of things come together.
All the deburring, priming and preparation have been done, and assembly is rapid and rewarding.

I also finally decided on the interior paint scheme.
Not a lot of the paint will show in the final interior, because I intend to have the full carpet and sidewall set, but just in case I change my mind, I want to make sure all the visible surfaces are not just primer.
Additionally, I want a dark colour interior so that it won't relect as much in the large glass canopy, and should make the aircraft seem a lot more open.
Som nothing darker than black !, Matt black in fact, for all the interior surfaces, with red highlights on a few pieces because it looks cool.
I'll be doing the same colours for the carpet, seats and belts etc when I get them too.

So, during the week and lunchtimes when it was sunny, I did do a bit of painting, final coats, and clearcoat on the few potentially visible surfaces of the interior parts.
Which got pretty much everything ready for assembly this weekend.

I will have to go back and paint the baggage floor area later, because I had already assembled that before I decided to do this paint the interior idea.

Assembly went pretty well, albeit a little slow, not hard, but there's awkward rivets that need the wedge tool and some fiddling about to get in, especially in the narrow center channel.
but now I have quite a bit of the fuselage assembled, it really feels like it's coming along nicely.

I also installed the first part of the controls, the torque tube for the control sticks, so its not just ribs and panels, it now seems like it has airplane bits on it :)







No comments:

Post a Comment