Sunday, March 11, 2012

working on fuselage assembly, 8 hours, 350 total

I have a rotten cold and sore throat and feel crappy, and I needed to go do something to take my mind off it, so armed with a cup of hot tea I descended into the aircraft construction workshop (garage) and started the easy work of riveting all this lot together.

There's a lot of rivets, and you need to pay very close attention to the plans to get the right rivets in the right places, there are a lot of different rivet types on the same parts.
So it's slow going, just being careful and reading the plans over and over to really understand what to do, before doing it.
But it's pretty easy work, and very rewarding seeing aircraft shaped parts forming slowly on the bench.

I did mess up one set of nutplates on the baggage floor.
Vans ships a lot of the small parts like nutplates in bags all jumbled together, and a K1000-08 looks exactly like a K1000-3 unless you get them next to each other and really look closely !.
Needless to say, I was installing K1000-3's thinking they were K1000-08s, until I started a new section and saw the actual K1000-08s where in a separate bag !
oh well, easily fixed, I'll drill out the 40 rivets on the 20 incorrect nutplates tomorrow.

At least I forgot about my cold,  mostly.

photos of the progress:





No comments:

Post a Comment